Why Should You Consider WSET?
In wine there are three types of people. Those who drink it. The enthusiasts who drink it and know a bit about it. And those who have an unquenchable thirst for knowing or understanding more. If you find yourself in the second or third category, then this is for you.
My journey into wine began when I was eight years old. My parents would trot me out to read the label of a French wine bottle. To them it was entertainment, but it was also the door that opened my interest in France and wine.
My eighteenth birthday would culminate into yet another adventure in French wine. The sole exception being that this time I could actually imbibe it. My father purchased a case of 1960 Chateau Margaux, first Grand Cru or “1er” as it is also known. We would sip it together for an entire month. The fascination would be lifelong.
When I moved to the mainland US four years ago and great wines became more accessible. I envied those who had access to all these exceptional global wines for so long. But there was something missing. I couldn’t engage in complete confidence in discussing wine because there was so much that I was unfamiliar with.
I bought books. Starting with Karen MacNeil’s The Wine Bible. A great start but so many unanswered questions. Then I thought I’d likely need Wine For Dummies, so I got that too. And then I began collecting wine books and still had so many missing parts my knowledge was like swiss cheese. A bit here, a bit there and some pieces missing entirely.
I went on a whirlwind trip throughout France’s major wine regions. It was there I recognized I had to get a handle on my wine education. What took me to the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (WSET) and creating The Five Reasons, was that there was enough education on ALL parts of the wine to satisfy my interest. From wine tasting to understanding, to where those brilliant tastes come from. I’m such a fan that I am on WSET Level 3 Award in Wines course, prepping to take the exam. Who knows where the road will lead you!
Whatever your level of interest in wine… WSET has a course for you!
1) Wine is not your life. But you want to engage intelligently when your friends or business associates discuss wine.
Take WSET Level 1 Award in Wines
2) You love wine and everything about it and are so curious about learning more. You want to know where those magical flavors come from and be able to taste with flair and confidence.
Take WSET Level s1 & 2 Award in Wines
3) You have passion for wine and want to see where it leads. Where the road turns either in careers or a tasting room.
Take WSET Levels 1 & 2 Award in Wines
4) You consider yourself a pro at all you do. And you want to be the good at everything. You want to be able to discuss wine with other wine pros and articulate with clarity, what is in the glass.
Take WSET Levels1, 2 and 3 Award in Wines
5) Wine is life. It is your chosen path. You’re dedicated to it like some are to religion. There is an unquenchable thirst for knowledge in wine, the regions, the process and so much more. Then WSET is for you!
Take WSET Levels 1,2 3, and 4 Award in Wines (Level 4 is Diploma level – if you pass you can add DipWSET after your name).
To find out more about WSET courses and where to study visit WSET Global.